Monday, January 31, 2011

Penne with Garlic Mushroom Sauce

When I was little, I was one of those kids who hated mushrooms because they were "slimy".  Then, when I was a teenager I wouldn't eat mushrooms because "eating fungus is gross".  Well something must have happened to me because mushrooms are now one of my favorite ingredients.  I love their earthiness and the way it can almost feel like you're eating meat, without actually eating meat of course.  This pasta dish is hearty, earthy and probably going to become one of my favorite dinners.  Served with some bread and a salad with a bunch of veggies, this meal is awesome.

Serves 4 as a main dish

Ingredients:
4 T. butter, divided 
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. assorted mushrooms, sliced (I used one box of button and one box of baby bella)
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground black pepper
1/4 c. vegetable broth
1/4 c. white wine
2 T. olive oil
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
2 t. fresh chives, chopped (optional)

parmesan cheese (optional)

1 lb. penne pasta

How:
Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling and add pasta.  Cook according to directions on box to al dente.

In a large skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium.  Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds before adding mushrooms, basil, salt, pepper, vegetable broth and white wine.  Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes.  

Add the remaining 2 T. butter, olive oil. and lemon juice.  Let the butter melt and then bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes and let the sauce thicken to your liking.  Add parsley and chives and then spoon over cooked pasta.  Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.  

Enjoy!

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...