Friday, March 11, 2011

Sautéed Rainbow Chard

A little while ago I got my first box from a CSA type organization.  One thing it contained was a beautiful bunch of rainbow chard.  Now, I've never had Swiss, red or rainbow chard so I was at a loss as to how to cook it.  I decided on sautéed with some garlic and red pepper flakes, based off of a recipe in Joy of Cooking.  Normally I'll only post recipes that I thought were worth the time it took to make the food, and that tasted delicious.  Well, I screwed up badly on this one, and it isn't the recipe's fault.  I also know exactly how to fix it.  The problem...I was extremely heavy handed with red pepper flakes.  So much so that it was hard to stand in the kitchen while this was cooking without coughing.  B and I both tried this, and it tasted very good, and then my mouth lit on fire.  So I know that the recipe is good and I'm completely at fault for the screw up.  I only hope that Washington's Green Grocer sends me another big bunch of chard as I already have plans for what's left of the one I got this week.

That all being said, I was beyond surprised when I undid the bundle of chard and saw how vividly pink and yellow the stalks were.  In my opinion, this is one of the prettiest vegetables ever.  

Serves 2
Takes 10 minutes to prepare
Ingredients:
1/2 bunch of rainbow chard
2 t. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/8 t. red pepper or a pinch (don't be tempted to add more!)
salt
juice of 1/2 lemon

How:
Cut the chard stems into 1/2 in pieces (yes they're edible) and coarsley chop the leaves.  Rinse well, but do not dry.  Heat the oil in a large skilled over medium low.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes until fragrant, 30 seconds.

Add the stems and a pinch of salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally about 2 minutes.  Add the leaves and cook, partially covered until all parts are tender, 4 minutes.

Remove to a serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.  Add salt if desired and serve with lemon wedges.

adapted from Joy of Cooking

Print Page

4 comments:

  1. We eat chard a lot now that I grow it in the garden. Supposedly the taste of rainbow chard is the same as that of plain green chard... but I don't believe it. To me the rainbow type tastes best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea about rainbow chard at all... but your dish looks nice. May be i should give it a try ..
    www.kankanasaxena.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see an unusual vegetable like this getting a bit of blog-time. I've never seen it for sale here but my sister grows some so I'll be around at harvest time to cadge some for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...