Saturday, January 22, 2011

Baby's Apples

It's a little lame that the first food post on my new cooking blog is baby food, but a lot of my time revolves around the little lady right now!  This is all I ended up cooking yesterday, so here it is.

One goal I had for myself as a stay at home mom was to make my daughter's food.  At almost eleven months old, I can proudly say that she has never had a bit of puree from a jar or pouch or however else they come.

I don't believe that you need a special machine to make purees for your baby.  I think all you need is a steamer basket, a food processor or food mill, some ice cube trays and a little bit of time.

Here's how I make baby lady's apples.

Ingredients:
4-6 medium sized apples  ~  I prefer to use Fuji as they are a firmer fruit and still low in acid.  Golden and Red Delicious ones are also low acidity apples, but baby lady seems to like the Fuji ones more.

How:
Cut the apples into slices.  In pot that fits your steamer basket, bring an inch of water to a boil.  When it is boiling, add the apple slices to the basket and cover the pot with a lid.  After about 8 minutes, check the apples by poking them with a knife.  If they are ready the knife will slide in with no hesitation.

At this point remove the apples to a separate bowl and allow to cool for about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.  At that point, remove the apple peel with a knife and place the slices in a food processor.  Run or pulse until the apples are at a consistency your baby can handle.

Freeze in ice cube trays.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...