Monday, January 24, 2011

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats in Chocolate

I love to bake.  I have for years.  I consider myself to be pretty good at it.  For some reason though, I suck at making Rice Krispies.  The first time I tried I was about 19 years old.  The result:  hard as a brick.  They could break your teeth they were so hard.  Up until yesterday I had only attempted them once more and while they were better, they still broke the tip off of a knife.  Yesterday I saw a recipe for these heavenly looking things on Brown Eyed Baker and decided that I needed to give it another go.



This time they were peanut butter Rice Krispie Treats, and they were dipped in CHOCOLATE!  How could a sane person resist?  Well, this one couldn't so now I'm sitting here eating one as I type this and I'm telling you, they are fantastic.  I managed to mix everything well enough that there's still that slight gooeyness that comes with a Rice Krispie, even though I know that I could have mixed it a little more.  So there!  I have conquered my nemesis.  Rice Krispie Treat, I no longer fear you.  But I will dip you in chocolate from now on.

Ingredients:
1.5 T. butter
5 oz (half of a bag) marshmallows
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
3 c. Rice Krispies

For the Dipping Chocolate:
2 c. milk chocolate chips
2 T. vegetable shortening

How:
Grease an 8x8 inch square pan and set aside.

In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.  Add in the marshmallow and stir until melted.  Add the peanut butter and keep stirring until everything is completely melted and combined.  Remove from heat and stir in cereal.

Press the mixture into the greased pan and place in refrigerator for an hour, or until set.  Do not try and speed it up by putting it in the freezer, it will make the treats too hard later and you'll lose time waiting for them to warm up.  I know this from experience.

After they have set up in the fridge, remove the pan and run a knife around the edges and turn out onto a cutting board.  Cut into small squares, about 3 dozen.  If you try and cut more, you'll likely run out of chocolate.  I know this from experience as well.

Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and shortening until melted smooth.

Skewer each square with a toothpick and dip into the chocolate mixture, covering all sides.  Place the dipped square onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper.

Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.

These can store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.

Original recipe can be found here Brown Eyed Baker's delicious recipe

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...